Komal Herbals is focused on offering highest quality Ayurvedic herbs and various other health product to our customers. We are always striving to source our herbs, spices, grains and other ingredients from trusted suppliers with full traceability to farms. Sustainable harvest practices combined with Good Agriculture Practices and Organic certifications are some of the criteria we look for in our suppliers, both, international and USA. We are working with cooperatives of small farmers in India promoting sustainable and organic farming. We buy steam treated spices and herbs when possible.
At Komal Herbals we strictly require microscopic testing and certificate of analysis for all batches of herbs that we get from our suppliers. Herbs and finished products are periodically subject to a number of analytical tests, most of them include botanical and physical identification, microbiological, heavy metals and moisture content. To help us in our effort we have partnered with some reputed independent third party labs in U.S. for testing our products.
- Organoleptic: Sample of each herb is evaluated for texture, color, aroma and flavor to ensure that it conforms to a known standard of the particular product.
- Microscopic: The sampled herb is visual inspected under a high powered microscope to verify that the internal structure of the plant part like cells, cell walls, cell structure and characteristics, etc. comply with a known pharmacopeia standard.
- HPTLC: High Performance Thin Layer Chromatograph helps to accurately determine product identity and purity of a botanical. It is also an effective tool in identifying any plant based adulterant present in the product. This method is selectively used for both the raw herb and finished capsules.
- Particle Size: Based on our requirement we buy herbs in different forms like whole, powder, tea bag cut or cut and sift. A sieve analysis is used to measure the total particle size distribution of a prepared sample.
- Tapped Density: Measures the density of a prepared sample (g/ml). This test can help us decide the suitability of the raw material for certain finished products.
Heavy metals (lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium), while sometimes naturally occurring, can be harmful in significant amounts. We do not add any of these elements intentionally. All our herbs, spices and finished products are tested periodically by independent third party lab for heavy metals meeting internationally accepted safety standards as stipulated by the American National Standards Institute/National Sanitation Foundation international Dietary Supplement Standard 173 (ANSI 173). The acceptable limits for daily intake are as follows:
- Arsenic not to exceed 0.01 milligrams per daily dose (10 micrograms per day).
- Cadmium not to exceed 0.006 milligrams per daily dose (6 micrograms per day).
- Lead not to exceed 0.02 milligrams per daily dose (20 micrograms per day).
- Mercury not to exceed 0.02 milligrams per daily dose (20 micrograms per day).
All our herbs and finished products are periodically tested using independent third party lab for Total Aerobic Plate Count, Yeast and Mold, Coliform, E. coli, and Salmonella and these tests are performed as needed.
Our facility is certified Organic & Kosher. We are working towards Gluten free certification as well. We do not use or process soy nuts. We have stringent measures in place to prevent cross-contamination. Our facility is temperature and humidity controlled to ensure optimum quality and freshness of each herb.
All the aspects of operation are well documented from receiving of a raw material to shipping the finished product to our customers. We ensure that we follow all the protocols set forth by FDA as well as USDA's National Organic Program. Komal Herbals has been an active member of AHPA (American Herbal Products Association) since inception. Our team works diligently to improve our systems, facility and procedures because we know that quality is of prime importance to our customers.California customers to click here for information on CA Proposition 65 compliance.